Monday 28 August 2023

Pleated Skirt

After sewing for other people, I finally have time to sew something for myself. Also I want to investigate how to draw patterns, so this is an easy start project. And I desperately need some easy work with some easy material to find out again that sewing is fun :-)
 
I made the pattern - length according to my preferences, width of the fabric minus my waist measurement divided by number of folds gives me size of one fold. Rounded hips, the width at side curve is hips minus waist.
And hips will be 3cm higher than the center. I attached the folds in the seam allowance.
The belt - stiffened with fusible web, folded 1 cm at each side and then pressed a few milimeters from the middle so that the wrong side would be a bit longer.
I sewed the belt's right side with the skirt. I folded the belt right sides in and sewed the ends.
This is a little tailors' trick to make neat corners - you fold it before turning over.
I made another line of stitches right in the seam between belt and the skirt panel, attaching the wrong side of the belt. I added a simple zipper and didn't bother with folding the upper edge, which was done by hand, I covered the teeth ends so that they don't scrath.
Results? At pleated skirt, the curved hips don't work. The side seam may be slanted, but it must be straight. Also the hips are raised by 1.5 cm at most.