Thursday 9 February 2023

Playing Cards Case

My previous company had borrowed some leather from me and now returned it. So I can play again.
Case for two decks of cards. I cut out the front and back pieces. The corners are done on both pieces at a time so that they fit together.
Round corners with a narrow scalpel :-) I love this method. It can be then smoothened with emery.
Groove cut with this special groovy tool.
I made holes with stitching chisels on one piece. Then I marked a few holes to the other piece with an awl and made holes there too.
I smoothened the edges with emery.
The rest of the groove was just pressed with a blunt side of the needle to wet leather.
I used wood dye for some parts, prepared pieces for fastening and sewed them on.
I made up my own cross stitch. By the way, on the side panel, the holes are cut at 45 degrees (marked with stitch chisel and then pricked at this angle with awl). I make every stitch loose so that I can get there and then tighten it.
Coloring the design with wood dye. I used a lot of layers for the black. Finally I decided to go for acrylic paint at the red ones.
Finished piece. Fastening works surprisingly well, it closes tight with a nice "snap".
Applying balm, which also leaves a darker hue to the colors.