Monday, 5 April 2010

Cranach Dress - Petticoat's Neckline

I sewed five stripes together to form the same shape as the neckline is.
I pinned it on the dress right side to right side and sewed on a cm from the edge.

The band has vlieselin ironed on to support the neckline well.
I tried to change the direction exactly at the top's seams and you can see that I pressed the band's seam allowances to lay on the other side than the top's ones.

The petticoat finished for the moment.

I also tried to make a pattern for the upper dress from the scraps. Sis was excited :-)

I wasn't. It quite fitted. But after a few days I looked at the photo and found out it's very similar to the ones of cranach reconstruction I've seen a few so far. The unsuccessful ones in my eyes.
So I'm going to make another pattern and possibly widen the petticoat's neckline (but definitely not before I have a pattern for the coat:-) ).

2 comments:

Robert F. Crocker said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. coral gowns

Žabacorporation said...

Hi Robert, thank you for a nice comment :)
Actually, I gave up at this project. The skirt looked really beautiful because of the load of vertical seams. But I had some trouble at the top.
At these dresses, the painters always draw the neckline as wide that it is like from shoulder to shoulder (http://cerridwencreations.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/5/6/10561349/4194261_orig.jpg). I'd wanted to do this with low wide neckline at the front as well as at the back.
But the sleeves are quite heavy and they pull down! I tried to stiffen the fabric as much as possible, but nothing was enough. The sleeves were just falling down from the shoulders. I don't know how much this is kind of painter's exaggeration. I think it would only work if the neckline was quite high at the back.
So sorry, but no new posts on cranach dress are planned :(
But recently I made quite a nice corset dress for our renaissance events and when I have time I might post some photos from the process :)