Tuesday, 26 April 2011

Lilly Surcoat - Body

My new order - a men's surcoat sewn for a girl.
I cut out the pieces - body, skirt and sleeves.
I basted the lower edge and some lines important for decoration.

A slit has to be made at the neckline.
I cut out a rectangle as the lining. I applied fusible interfacing on both the lining and the location of the slit on the front panel.
I put the lining right side to the right side of the piece. I sewed along the drawn slit on both sides, with a triangle at the tip of the slit.
Then I cut the slit and turned the lining inside. I ironed it and sewed the lining on with decorative line of sitches.

I basted the hips and the shoulders of the body.

I sewed and serged the side seams of the skirt for the fitting, basted it to the body and basted one sleeve.

Saturday, 16 April 2011

Brown Fire Costume - Finished

This is our new outfit for the new fireshow.
The trousers are rather wide at the bottom and fitted at the top, everyone has the same costume except for the colour of the top and the neckline design.
The gathering ensures free move at the tight bracers. Without it it wouldn't be able to bend an elbow easily.

Monday, 4 April 2011

Brown Fire Costume - Bracers

New bracers as an accessory to the new fireshow costume.
This is the pattern I've drawn. I measured my arm at several places. I measured the distances between them and put this all on the fabric.
The rectangle at the left is for the velcro and the ones at the upper part are for the gathering.
I serged the piece except the lower third.

I cut out a rectangle from canvas, pressed the edges inwards and sewed on the bracer pattern into the upper part rectangles. The short sides are not sewn on.

I cut out bias tape, ironed its upper edge and sewed on the lower edge of the bracer piece.

I turned it over and sewed on.
I ironed the upper edge to the wrong side and the lower third's edges for the velcro.

Now I could sew one part of the velcro to the right side of the bracer.

I used a twill tape to gather the elbow area. I threaded it through the tunnel, sewed on one side, pulled the other end to a measured mark and sewed on this end as well.

I pinned the elbow seam and sewed from the velcro level to the upper edge. At the elbow part I decreased the width of the seam allowance to provide freedom of move.

I sewed the other part of velcro to the wrong side of the bracer.

I pressed the seam allowances flat and sewed the upper hem on.

I put each bracer on the sleeve board and evened up the chaotic gathers to neat lines.