Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Dirty Dancing Bag

A gift for my friend who is a big fan of Dirty Dancing movie :)
I ordered a printed bag with a Dirty Dancing photo of my choice.
You know, no one prints your photos just on a fabric, so you have to order a bag and cut out the photo.
So this photo and a few leftovers from my last project (I am trying to get rid of any leftovers, because my heap of fabric tends to heave...). No matter what, I just love this fabric.
I sewed the pieces so that they would make a nice flat surface to quilt. I took a piece of batting and freehand quilted the parisian fabric.
At the photo panel, I stitched along the frames. And embroidered the printed Dirty Dancing writing.
I cut the lining of the same size , just without upper seam allowance. I cut two pockets for the lining.
I attached the pockets. I sewed both the main piece and the lining at the vertical seam and at the bottom. At the lining, I left a gap at the bottom seam for turning over later on.
I folded the bottom to have the bottom seam in the center and sewed the corners (on both pieces).
I made a tunnel for the strap. I filled it with batting and sewed the upper fabric to the bag.
I quilted it. Just straight stitch - freehand quilting in such narrow pieces is no fun...
And I want to have fun in my projects! I have too many UFOs (unfinished objects) in my stash. From now on I prefer to have fun from having everything perfect :)
I made the quilting more dense at the edges - I did't want them to be bulky.
I cut the seam allowance at the upper edge to 2 cms and sewed the straps on.
As the seam allowance is 2 cm and the lining was cut just to the upper edge, I can sew the lining on with 1cm seam allowance and the seam will be 1 cm below the upper edge.
The lining can be turned over and attached to the main piece at the corners - better to say at their seam allowances.
I prepared the zipper - I took a piece of 'endless' zipper and sewed little endings on it. Nice detail  :)
I took the closed zipper and sewed on. No special foot needed because of the batting.
I pinned the zipper to the other size, opened and repinned correctly to be able to sew it.
I didn't feel like hand sewing today at all, so I folded the bottom of the lining and sewed one milimiter from the edge to close the hole.
So, here it is. A lovely bag for my lovely Dirty-Dancingolic friend :-)
The lining.
I hope she'll enjoy it as much as I do. I'm just totally into quilted bags :-D

No comments: