Sunday, 21 December 2008

Icon Day 3

I finally made the embroidery. So about three days this icon took. (Consider the fact that I'm quite lazy and slow:-D) I was quite afraid about the faces. Medieval artists put the accent on expressions of their saints.

And at night - my beloved work with gold. The aureola. You can see how I couched the golden thread. I folded it in the middle and attached with a small stitch (I had been considering a red thread as a couching one but eventually this one won). I went on couching, always taking two threads at once.
When I reached the end I attached the outer golden thread with two small stitches - to form a little part of rectangle, leavin a space for the inner thread. This one was attached next - with one stitch normal and the other one to catch two threads to form a sharp turn.

Quite happy about this one finished:-) Now I only have to make a pouch out of it and three others (certainly not so complicated and time consuming:-D).

Only.

4 comments:

Deepa said...

Lovely!!
The face has come out quite well.Loved the technique you used for couching the golden thread.
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Allison Ann Aller said...

This is so effective and beautiful. The shading in the garments make so much difference. And the faces convey the emotion perfectly.
So well done!!!

Žabacorporation said...

Nice from you:-) I think the lady's face came out quite well, but the baby... :-DDD

elsi said...

I love the finished embroidery!

You are really good!

lots of love,
Elsi :)